Somerset East Livestock
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Consolidation of six farm properties in the Somerset East and Pearston areas.
This investment comprises of two irrigation farms to be used as pasture lands, and four farms for sheep, cattle, Angora and, in particular, boerbokke (goats). Creating a large livestock enterprise, based on superior animal genetics, sustainable feed production, an inclusive management strategy and optimal resource usage. Total natural lands stretch over 9 762ha with 126ha under irrigation.
Status: Terrain is in the process of exiting from this investment..
- Solar panels installed to assist with the extraction of borehole water
- Farm buildings, employees housing, storage shed upgraded
- Irrigation holding dams built and upgraded
- Perimeter fencing on the farms and within the irrigated camp pastures upgraded and maintained
The positive impact we made:
- 20+ employment opportunities
- 90ha of flood and sprinkler irrigated lands upgraded to permaset and centre pivot irrigated lands
- Erosion prevention and water reticulation improved
- Solar power and geysers installed for employee housing